Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bánh mì


Paté and patis. That odd couple, some cilantro, cucumber, mystery meat, mystery sauce, and soy sauce stuffed in a crusty baguette make for probably the best sandwich for under P50.

Bánh mì stalls can be found on every other corner in Saigon. The one pictured has a little compartment off to one side where the lady heats your baguette over a charcoal grill before stuffing it with magic.

Locally, I think Pho Hoa sells these sandwiches, but I don’t know if they can compare.

5 comments:

mignac said...

Pho Hoa does sell a pork or chicken version, I think. But if I can get a more authentic version locally, let me know. I love these sandwiches.

gastronomix 101 said...

a marriage of oriental and occidental cultures. :D they're good sandwiches:D

ChichaJo said...

I fell in love with banh mi in Hanoi...Pho Hoa does sell them and no, they can't compare :( Which is sad because I still dream of these sandwiches!

Biba said...

Pho Hoa sandwiches are crap! Overpriced crap to be exact.

betty q. said...

To demystify the mystery sauce, it is none other than KNORR or MAGGI SEASONING!!! I know this because a very dear Vietnamese friend told me!