Monday, May 23, 2005

Podcast Pasta

I've been listening to podcasts lately. There are huge amounts of worthless, junk podcasts out there, but after listening for a while, you'll find a few that are worth downloading.

I learned this recipe from a podcast of WNYC's Leonard Lopate Show. The guest was an Italian-American chef, Mario Batali. He shared his favorite, extremely simple recipe, which I tried out with some left-over spaghetti. To make, sautee a whole onion (sliced into fine rings) in good olive oil. Add some dried chili flakes. When the onions are soft and translucent, add around one tablespoon of tomato sauce. Season with salt, add the slightly undercooked pasta, and toss for about half a minute to coat the noodles. Don't be tightfisted with the salt. The first taste I had was slightly disappointing but when I added a bit more salt, the flavor just stepped-up. And I was surprised with the depth of flavor, considering the simplicity of the dish. You can have this ready in under ten minutes - perfect for unexpected guests or a midnight food-trip. This should go well with a nice, juicy steak. I'll post a picture when I make this again.

No comments: